Stories Of My Irish Families

Irish Native/Planter Stories

Monday 2 November 2015

My Genetical information should be having an internal struggle with itself.

Coming up to 2 years since I have done some DNA research. As much as I understand part of it, the ties to historical events is becoming quite clear. Except I just can't grasp the intensity of what it's trying to say. I am a little overwhelmed by what it could prove, in a historical sense.
I am certain my DNA is messed up and is having a war between itself.
Basically my Mother's DNA served Ireland in a politically and "justice by the courts" way, whereas my Father's DNA is showing Irish "justice by the sword" way.

In the past few months, I have found something deep that is happening, finding quite the quirkyness to what my DNA story tells.

So far my Y-DNA, is telling a story of ancient historical significance to around the Norman Invasion.
It maybe also telling the story, that I may have had a Paternal lineage, that was in Ireland "before" the Norman Invasion (as mentioned before, that most possibly our Fitzgerald link was a Female). Everything on what I am seeing, tells me about something happening between the Scottish/Welsh and Native Irish around 1000 years ago.
It was something big and it was happening in the Province of  Munster.

The Fitzgibbon surname is still quite clearly the ultimate link, to finding my roots, as there is no definable "Fitzgerald" there. Native Irish also entangle in there as well.
I am ultimately trying to learn, if I can find a faction of Fitzgerald that I stem off. And are we the only ones of the line? Are we off a cadet branch or off an illegitimate line?

When you read historical accounts of what your surname was part of around the Norman Invasion period, well pretty much was the dominant invader to the natives of Ireland (FitzGerald and FitzStephen aiding Diarmaid Mac Murchadha's cause, of trying to reclaim his kingdom of Leinster). Remember Strongbow wasn't on the first invasion of 1169, as King Henry II - held him back as a part of discipline for siding against him.
Australia's European settlement of 1788, shows a very similar link, to being a dominated by the British (some would say invaders, but there is an open interpretation, if they were here to fight or to colonise with a reduced use of arms). Though the 1788 event, wasn't about coming to Australia to claim back it's "lost kingdom". It also had the intent of moving the trouble makers out of England.

But a few centuries over time, these invaders of Ireland, became part of the natives and immersed themselves in their culture. They then started to rebel against the Crown.
This is why the Fitzgerald name is known for being "more Irish than the Irish".

And my Y-DNA speaks in "volumes" to this story of nativity. It doesn't speak strongly of Viking, it doesn't speak Welsh or English, but does speak Native Irish/Scot. We land in a small pocket of Galloglass names that had English names, but was very close to the native Collins/O'Donovan's.

But again, from what I have seen and been told about with my surname, it still should not tie to Ireland or it's nativity, but should be more of middle Europe. This is why I am trying to see if this male that the Y-DNA is speaking of, is some form of Irish Native / Scot, rather than of Welsh origin.

Now, some of my Autosomal DNA matches, tell quite a connecting story. It is becoming apparently clear, that my parents DNA is "entangled" between themselves. Except they are not closer than 5th cousins.
I have questioned the genetical information between my parents DNA, because they indeed share some of the same DNA matches under the 5th Cousin. I have constantly thought that my parents DNA samples were mixed up, because of the oddity of matches. Certain names that should match my Father's family names, were matching my Mother's DNA and vice versa.
Majority of the links are Irish, but I have a hunch that some lead to British as well. Possibly from the "Planter" era.
It's kind of difficult to identify these links, when both your parents match 1 person and you're not sure which one is more dominant. And is the link British or Irish related.

Stories that are currently dominant.
  • Both my autosomal DNA and my Father's autosomal DNA speak volumes in our top matches to an unusual Scottish/Viking connection, except I don't know which line this extends on. Our Y-DNA shows this story to a cousin branch of the Ui' Fidgenti dynasty of the Collins/O'Donovan's off Limerick/West Cork - which does have Norse connotations.
    Nothing is proven just yet, just very close and very circumstantial.
    Ironically, the Fitzgerald's pushed these 2 families out of Limerick into South West Cork (Skibbereen) during the 13th century - some of the autosomal DNA is picking the Limerick/Skibbereen places via both myself and my Father - This page explains this story - Go to "Later History" part
  • The most interesting thing that I can see, is that we don't link directly to a Fitzgerald line in our autosomal matches, but almost every lead in our top autosomal matches has somewhat of a Fitzgerald there. Quite ironically, my Mother has a Fitzgerald there (Gedmatch) and I am trying to see if the link ties back to her Blood family of Co. Clare.
    The Fitzgerald line that we know of, seems like the DNA has only been passed on by the other parent/partner and we don't know the name of that partner.
    As our Fitzgerald line came here in 1841, I am not sure if we became partially diluted as such to the DNA. This is why I have to use other peoples links to help me either to eliminate or prove certain scenarios.
  • Part of my research is trying to see if there is any evidence that I can tie my Mother's Newenham/Persse/Blood lines (of Co. Galway & Co. Clare) to my Father's Fitzgerald's. Whilst there is inter-connectivity in written history, I have not proven it beyond reasonable doubt.
     
  • My Mother's Paternal line is unknown from before 1870's. The Booth name (Mum's Paternal Grandmother's maiden name) has a genetical match with Dad. Dad's maternal side has British links and I am thinking there is bound to be some sort of crossover there. Yorkshire, is the base of research.
In a short while, I'll be meeting up with a fellow who shares this ancient DNA story with us, back to the Ui' Fidgenti dynasty. It will possibly include a story that we lived just 1-2 km apart about 20 years ago and ultimately showing that we would have crossed paths many times without ever knowing of our ancient genetical paths.

The world is a small place.
by Stories Of My Irish Families Monday, November 02, 2015 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a reply.
Please contact me : research@aussiefitz.world

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter

Search Our Site

Pages